I'm not sure what is better than a breakfast biscuit and a cup of coffee. This morning, we put seitan bacon and cheese on homemade biscuits. This is a big deal for us....typically, we just make something that resembles biscuits out of Bisquick mix, so this morning was a special occasion. Shout out to the amazing Minimalist Baker for her easy biscuit recipe. Here is what we threw together!
1 cup unsweetened plain almond milk (we used cashew)
1Tbsp lemon juice
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
4 Tbsp non-dairy butter (we used Earth Balance sticks)
1. Heat oven to 450.
2. Combine lemon juice and milk and set aside. This is your "buttermilk".
3. Mix all dry ingredients in bowl big enough to add wet ingredients to in a little bit.
4. Add cold butter and use fingers or pastry cutter to mix butter into the dry ingredients. Work quickly so the butter doesn't get too warm. Work the butter until only small pieces remain.
5. Add milk to bowl a little bit at a time stirring with a wooden spoon. Continue adding until dough is sticky and everything is just combined.
6. On a floured surface, turn the dough over on itself 5-6 times, hardly kneading.
7. Form dough into 1-inch disk and use dough cutter or something else with thin edges (we used cocktail shaker as MB recommended) to create your biscuits. Line them on a baking pan just barely touching. This helps them rise! We had eight biscuits by the end. The last one was formed by hand.
8. Brush the tops with melted butter to create a lovely crusty top after baking.
9. Bake for 10-15 minutes until fluffy and golden brown. Enjoy immediately!
For our bacon and cheese:
1. While biscuits are baking, heat up oil in pan just so it covers the bottom. Add the seitan bacon and let fry just until edges are crispy. We enjoy the middle being a but chewy still, but cook them for as long as you want.
2. Slice up cheese (Chao original is the best!) and put on biscuits with bacon.