Veggie Sushi with Teriyaki Tofu
Sushi date night! Get ready to roll your sleeves up and get a little messy with this one. This dish is perfect for two people to tackle together. It does take a bit of time from start to finish (including clean-up) but having so many rolls to enjoy is truly an amazing thing.
With sushi, you have the freedom to mix any veggies that you want in the rolls. We can never decide on just a few and usually do everything we have in the kitchen.
Ingredients for rice:
1 cup jasmine rice
2 cups water
2 Tbsp rice vinegar
1 1/2 tsp sugar
6-7 Nori sheets
12 oz tofu (extra firm, pressed)
1 english cucumber thinly sliced
2 medium carrots thinly sliced
1 bunch asparagus
2-3 sliced avocados
sesame seeds for garnish
Directions for the rice:
Add water and rice to pot and stir. Bring to a boil for 1 minute, stir, cover, and simmer on low for 12-15 minutes. Microwave rice vinegar and sugar and stir until sugar is dissolved. Once rice is cooled, add vinegar mixture and stir until rice is sticky.
Directions for the tofu:
Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees. Slice tofu into 1/2 inch rectangles. Lay out on covered baking pan. Pour teriyaki sauce on tofu and flip slices carefully until coated. Bake for 20 minutes, flipping halfway through. Allow to cool completely before assembling rolls.
Assembly of the rolls:
1. Prepare sushi mat by covering it in plastic wrap for easy clean-up. You can also use a dish towel with plastic wrap.
2. Lay out nori sheet and spread 1/2 cup of rice using back of wooden spoon.
3. Add veggies and tofu to one end of roll.
4. Roll nori sheet, applying just a bit of pressure.
5. Slice with a slightly wet knife and enjoy with soy sauce and wasabi!
Comment below with other delicious flavor combos you have created!